From July 10th to August 14th, the National Rifle Association of America will conduct its annual National Rifle and Pistol Championships -- the National Matches -- at Camp Perry, near Port Clinton, Ohio. Camp Perry has been the home of the National Matches since its founding as a military marksmanship base nearly a century ago. The event is broadly divided into five phases: Pistol, Smallbore 3-Position, Smallbore Prone, High Power, and Long Range.
The matches are unique in that ordinary club shooters may compete on the same firing line as some of America's finest marksman, including former Olympians.
"The National Matches are among the largest and most prestigious shooting championships in the world," said NRA Director of Competitive Shooting M.S. Gilchrist. "This year we expect over 4,000 competitors of all skill levels to visit Camp Perry to shoot with, and learn from, the finest rifle and pistol shots in the country. Many competitors attend with their families, not only to compete but also to participate in other activities offered at Camp Perry and in the surrounding area," Gilchrist added.
July 10: First Shot Ceremony
July 10-16: NRA National Pistol Championships
Entry closing: July 12. For information on the NRA's Pistol Shooting Program or on the Pistol championships, including the National Trophy Matches, call Bob Piccoli at (703) 267-1451.
- The NRA's Harry Reeves Memorial Pistol Match
- The Revolver Distinguished Match
- National 2700 Championship
- Team competition for the USA Civilian Pistol Team International Challenge Match
- Team competition for the Mayleigh Challenge Cup, International Pistol Match
July 20-27: NRA National Smallbore Rifle Championships
Entry closing, 3-Position: July 18; Prone: July 22. For information on the NRA's Smallbore Shooting Program or on the Smallbore championships, call George Harris at (703) 267-1475.
- Smallbore Three Position Championships
- Smallbore Prone Championships
- Team competition for the Dewar and Randle International Challenge Trophies, and for the Whistler Boy Team Trophy
August 6-10: NRA National Individual and Team High Power Rifle Championships
- NRA Team competition for the Enlisted, Rumbold, and RNDC Trophies
- Shoulder-to-shoulder competition for the 2006 U.S. National Rifle Championship
August 11-14: Long Range Championships
- Elimination contests and shoulder-to-shoulder shoot-offs for 1000-yard rifle championships.
- The Palma Individual Rifle Match conducted at 800, 900, and 1000 yards.
Entry closing: Aug. 5. For information on the NRA's Rifle Shooting Program or for more on the Rifle Championships, including the Long Range Championships and the National Trophy Matches, contact Don Ide at (703) 267-1454, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.